I've written about my love for Joburg - the City of Gold - before! And I thought, today i'll post the comment and a bit more which I left to an article by Jeremy Clarkson: I dare you to visit Johannesburg, the city for softies which i found on Nic Haralambous' site SA Rocks.
I moved to Joburg from Cape Town 8 months ago. Everyone in Jozi and Cape Town asked if I was crazy!!!! I always reply… Dude (just for effect), there is more to life than the ocean and the mountain! Now for those of you not familiar with Cape Town, it is a beautiful city indeed - with its mountains, beaches, winefarms, cheese festivals, and music in the park on a sunday afternoon.
I came to Jozi (mosly known for its high crime rate and smog) on holiday - yes, on holiday - to visit my best friends who took the plunge to live in the most dangerous city in the country. I loved it. I fell in love with the vibe, the people, the shopping, the energy, the vibrance and the beauty of this city. Yes, i said it - the beauty. Have you gone for a picnic at Zoo lake? Have you seen the sky line at night? Have you listened to the birds on Katherine street - chirping like they’ve just seen their first sunrise, and the afternoon thunderstorm, and amazing chrimson sunsets?
The cosmopolitain restaurants, the Mandela square side walk cafes filled with eclectic people, the amazing vibe at any cricket and rugby match, and the fashionista's you see in every shopping mall and coffee shop! And of course, the twitter/blogger get together's! What is there NOT to love?
Jozi is phenomenal… i came here mainly for a career move, and settling in has taken some time, but even been broken into, and robbed more than once in this short period of time, i’m not going to let that get me down. It’s all about the attitude and perception. Make the best of wherever you are!
Read about beautiful joburg and 5 things that make me smile! No matter where you find yourself, be positive and don't feed the negativity that everyone so easily buys into. When there is so much to be grateful and thankful for and happy about, focus on that!
I heart Jozi!
SOME INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT SOUTH AFRICA
- There are only 12 countries in the world that supply tap water that is fit to drink, and South Africa is one of them. Our tap water quality is third best overall in the world.
- South Africa is the sole producer of the Mercedes Benz, C Class, right hand drive vehicles
- South Africa has the third highest level of biodiversity in the world
- Walt Disney serves South African wine exclusively at its 73-acre Animal Kingdom Lodge in the United States.
- South Africa is the only country in the world where you can order something called monkey gland steak at a restaurant without the risk of a real internal organ being placed before you.
- South Africa has the longest wine route in the world, the R62 wine route
- South Africa is the world's largest producer of macadamia nuts and the nuts and oils are exported to countries across the world ***
- The only street in the world to house two Nobel Peace prize winners is in Soweto. Nelson Mandela and Archbishop Desmond Tutu both have houses in Vilakazi Street in Soweto.
- South Africa has the oldest meteor scar in the world, just across the Vaal River near Parys, called the Vredefort Dome. The meteor plummeted to Earth nearly two billion years ago (Earth is said to be 4,5 billion years old), predating the heady days of oxygen and multi-celled life.
*** from @nickjackson (on twitter)